Monday, October 11, 2010

Are you busy being too B U S Y ?

I recently saw something a friend showed me on Facebook and it was so true.  In fact, I have often said the very same things, and been guilty of hypocrisy on the matter.  It was a video story basically about Satan keeping Christians busy so they don't make time for Jesus.  In the end it described busy as B-eing U-nder
S-atan's Y-oke.  This really grabbed my attention. 

Of course, lots of things can keep us busy, especially us homeschool mothers.  Besides the demands of our schooling, and daily housework, our children keep us busy with their demanding needs.  I am amazed at the schedules of some of my friends, with their soccer practice, music lessons, scout meetings, home businesses, co-ops, swim lessons, church meetings, volunteer work, etc... all in a weeks time!  It makes my head spin thinking about it! 


But what about those of us that aren't busy with extracurricular activities, yet finding ourselves slacking in our Bible reading, or prayers?  Worse yet, what about those of us NOT slacking in our Christian duties, yet our hearts and minds are busily distracted anyway? 

Regardless of what category we find ourselves in, it is normal for us to wax and wane in our Christian walk, but is it acceptable?


This passage and especially the passages that follow are very sobering.  We get so caught up in the fact that Jesus loves us, imperfections and all, that we forget our goal here is to strive for our Master.  J.C. Ryle is one of my favorite's and I do believe he says it best in his article Self Exertion;

"Watch against the slightest inclination to be careless about any means of grace.  Beware of shortening your prayer, your Bible reading, your private communion with God.  Take head that you do not give way to a thoughtless, lazy manner of using the public services of God's house.  Fight against any rising disposition to be sleepy, critical, and fault-finding, while you listen to the preaching of the Gospel.  Whatever you do for God do it with all your heart and mind and strength.  In other things be moderate and dread running into extremes,  In soul matters fear moderation just as you would fear the plague.  Care not what men think of you.  Let it be enough for you that your Master says, "STRIVE."
I know I am B U S Y more than I care to admit.  If you are feeling a heap of conviction as I am in this area, I challenge you as well as myself, to turn from being too B U S Y (Being Under Satan's Yoke) and be B U S Y about the Kingdom.  (Being Under the Savior's Yoke)  God bless you in your walk, dear Christian.

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying this! Thanks for sharing what God is teaching you! ~Erica

    ReplyDelete