Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Week 5 Hola Mexico!

Passports? Check!
Train tickets?  Check!
Excited children eager to learn?  Check! Check! Check!






I had to preface that we weren't really going to Mexico!  Whew, I know I spared a tantrum there!

Wow!  What a jam packed week!  It seemed like a lot, so I skipped the Global Art crafts suggested and opted instead for the one thing they have been dying to do for like, a year now!









SHAVING CREAM & POWDER TEMPURA PAINT ART!!!  WOO-HOO!!

We also played a game that came included in our curriculum. This, I just cannot say enough good about.  It is AMAZING
how much we learned and retained the location of all/most the countries of North America in just one game!
We will have a gameboard of each continent we visit, and by the time we are through with this school year the world will seem a much smaller place. 






WE LOVE MY FATHER'S WORLD!!
I wish I had started 7 yrs ago with this curriculum, but am thankful we found it in time to start with Exploring Countries and Cultures.  I tell you it really makes me want to go be a missionary family. 
We listened to #5 Pin Pon and #6 Tingalayo and it's so cute to see Eli and Gigi sing and dance!
Here is a pic of them sharing at snack time


We have moved on from forests and are learning about deserts. Check back for updated pics on the geography cards tab.  We got a bit behind on these, so I'll have them all posted soon.
Fascinating factoid: Desert temperatures can get up to 120 degrees in the day and drop to nearly freezing at night.  Temps can also be 10-20 degrees cooler in the shade of an oasis.  So we had a little experiment of our own to see how fast bags of ice would melt in the sun vs. shade.


By lunch time the sun kept ice was melted about 90 % and the shade kept ice was about 60 % melted.  Conclusion: It stays cooler in the shade. Duh! LOL!

So I guess that just about covers our excitement for the week.  Unless diagramming compound sentences really does it for you!



anyone? ...anyone? ......Beuller??

1 comment:

  1. I am passing on the 'One Lovely Blog' award to you! Check out my blog...
    http://passionatemotherhood.blogspot.com/2010/10/ecc-week-12-days-3-5-norway-and-other.html

    ReplyDelete