Sunday, August 22, 2010

Getting Prepared...

Well, I am sitting here thinking about how much fun this year in homeschooling has in store for us,  yet seriously trying hard not to forget how every year I romanticize the start of the new school year. 

Perfect little well behaved children sitting at their desks, focused, quiet, well groomed, sitting up straight, eager to learn, willing to cooperate, baby playing quietly and very content, at my feet.  Can you hear the record scratch yet?  Far from that, the reality is more closely resembled to, uh...well...something out of an old Calgon commercial! 

Reluctant children slouched over their desks, one complaining that she's tired, another screaming because the baby is dumping her crayons all over the floor and proceeding to eat them, another loudly calling, "Mom, Mom, Mom..Mom...MOM!!"  Perhaps one is already starting to work in his workbook, trying to yell over the commotion that he's ready and begging for me to help him.  Yep, all the while I am thinking, 'There is no way I will be able to make it through the next 5 minutes, let alone the entire school year,  I surely have lost my mind!  Why, that school bus should be here any minute, maybe I should load them on it after all!'

Yes, I recall now, the first week or two is really more about character training, and discipline, and heavy review of the rules.  After that it is smooth sailing, for the most part.  Deep breaths!  'I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.' -Phil 4:13

I think though, that this year will be different, because unlike years past, we are starting on a different path.  A different method altogether.  The Charlotte Mason method. We are starting year 1 of a 5 year plan in a curriculum called My Father's World.  Exploring Countries & Cultures. 

I am hopeful that we will survive the first week or two, and maybe, just maybe, we will even have fun!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Blogroll and I am sure you're going to have a blast this year!

    I can't wait to share in all the fun and learning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will say the first 3-4 weeks are the most jam packed. We started ECC in July and we are on week 7. It got much easier 'round about week 5 =) I too have 5 children and this is our first year with My Father's World. I also used to be an Usborne consultant! We love those books! I'm now a follower of your blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are doing ECC too, we have a two year old, so it will be interesting comparing notes with the toddlers:) Hope your year is blessed!

    ReplyDelete